March 15 – March 31, 2013
1). World Premiere of Tell Martha Not to Moan by Clinnesha D. Sibley
We will premiere the first ever production of this beautiful and heart-wrenching play.
Dates: March 15, 16, 22, 23, 29, 30 @ 8pm and March 17, 24, 31 @ 2pm
Tell Martha Not to Moan takes place in a family home in Detroit, 2007. As the presidential election campaign plays out on the national stage and the 40th Commemoration of the Detroit Riot is marked, a series of memories takes us on a unique and personal journey with a devoted and desolate elderly couple. With compelling dialogue and complex relationships, Tell Martha Not to Moan is a glimpse into the changing world as viewed from one African American home. Tickets: $20 for adults, $18 for students/seniors/military.
2). Workshop productions of four new plays by women, called our Plays in Progress, or PIP, Series.
Dates: March 16, 23, 30 @ 2pm and March 17, 21, 24, 28, 31 @7pm
Workshop level productions are designed with minimum sets, lights, sound, etc. and they also allow for an audience to give feedback. One play will be selected from this Series to be produced in the Athena Project Festival in March of 2014. Your vote counts! The plays are:
- Government Issued Long Johns by Erin Wagoner
(Mar 16 @2pm and 24 @ 7pm)
- Echo by Barbara Lhota
(Mar 17 @7pm and Mar 28 @7pm)
– Trespassing by Catherine Wiley
(Mar 21 @7pm and Mar 30 @2pm)
- Let All Mortal Flesh by Pat Montley
(Mar 23 @2pm and Mar 31 @7pm)
Tickets: $10 for each play or you can buy a PIP Play Pass for $50 which includes a ticket to the World Premiere, Tell Martha Not to Moan
3). Art Gallery Showing by female visual artists at The Collection in Aurora
Dates: Open one hour before every evening of the Festival Events; also open an hour after performances that are matinees
- Art pieces will be shown at The Collection from March 15 – April 26. All art chosen for the showcase will pertain to the theme of change and all artists will be women. There will be an opening night reception on March 15 from 5-8pm.
Tickets: There is no charge but artwork is available for sale.
4). A Night of Music
Date: March 26 @ 8pm
- During this evening, female musicians and or songwriters will have the opportunity to play their music for all to hear at the Aurora Fox Studio. In addition, we hope to have musicians at The Collection gallery every hour that it is open. Tickets: $10.
5). An Evening of Dance
Date: March 20 @ 8pm
- Female choreographers will present dance pieces they have created at the Aurora Fox Studio. Though the dancers can be men, the choreographers must be women. The pieces may range from ballet to hip hop, lyrical to tap, and anything in between. Tickets: $10.
6). Five Elements Fashion Show (Fundraiser)
Date: March 27, doors open @ 7pm, show starts @ 8pm
- We will present a Fashion Show of female designers celebrating the five elements and benefiting Athena Project. This event is co-sponsored by Three Little Birds Salon and Fashion Denver.
Tickets: $20 or $15 if you come dressed as a god or goddess.
7). Evening of Plays by members of Girls’ Write
Date: March 25 @7pm
- We are pleased to showcase 5 short works-in-progress by the girls in our Girls’ Write Program. Girls’ Write is our youth playwriting program run in conjunction with Girls, Inc. This program provides underserved pre-teens and teens with role models in the arts who teach them how to write a play, and it helps to build future audiences and writers. Suggested donation: $10 for adutls, $5 for students.
Visit the ATHENA PROJECT website for more information.
Powered by Facebook Comments