History of the Aurora Fox
Originally built in 1946, the Aurora Fox Arts Center was Aurora’s only “movie palace” serving the needs of a growing population and military personnel stationed at Fitzsimmons Army Hospital and Lowry Air Force Base.
Throughout the 1950’s and 1960’s the Fox Theater with its Art Moderne entrance and 61-foot neon sign was a popular destination for children and adults. The 1970’s, however, witnessed a period of decline for the Fox as new commercial areas opened and people began flocking to these new shopping centers with acres of parking and improved movie houses.
The fate of the Fox as a movie theater was sealed when a disastrous fire in 1981 caused extensive fire and water damage, but between 1983 and 1985, civic groups, the city of Aurora and private companies worked together to fund a restoration and rehabilitation of the theater. The building reopened on March 8, 1985 as the Aurora Fox Arts Center, permanent home for the Aurora Fox Theater Company and rental home for several local performing arts organizations.
Today, the Fox is home to the award winning professional theatre company operated by the city of Aurora’s Cultural Services Division. The Fox (which is the abbreviated named for both the building and the city-run theater company in residence there) is a member of Actors’ Equity Association, Small Professional Theater Tier 1. The theater employs four full time staff and includes two performance spaces: a 242-seat proscenium theater and a 72-seat corner thrust black box “studio” theater. Operations include a main stage season of 5 fully produced shows, a children’s theater program, various classes and other special programming. The Fox is committed to diversity and inclusion in its selection of plays and casting and the pursuit of innovation.